Friday, October 3, 2008

Happy October!

Wow, another week is nearly coming to an end. It was a fast week, and as much as I should be enjoying every minute and not wish the week away, I’m glad it’s Friday.

Last Saturday I arranged for a babysitter and Steve and I went out to dinner and to a movie. We needed a little couple time. The person that watched Cooper wasn’t my best friend Jackie, so I was a bit nervous at first, but Cooper was in good hands and I think they had fun. As for Steve, I tortured him with Nights in Rodanthe based on Nicholas Sparks’ book. He doesn’t usually put up to much of a fuss, but this time he tried to tell me that since he has seen all the other Nicolas Sparks movies (The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, Message in a Bottle) and after seeing the movie trailer, that he knew what the story was about and how it would end, so he really didn’t need to go. Once we got to the theater, he asked if he could see another movie, but being the good husband that he is he took my hand and followed me to Nights in Rodanthe. I probably owe him one. One note on the movie… and this is just my opinion…. don’t read the book and see the movie. Do one or the other or put several years in between. I read the book back in 2002, but thought I needed to reread it before the movie. I actually finished the book a few days before the movie. The book is great and the movie is really good, but I spent way too much time comparing them. Overall, it was a really nice evening out.

Here’s a picture of Cooper on Sunday before church in a sweater my mom got him before he was born. Steve wore a similar yellow polo shirt and navy blue pants. Don’t they look handsome?!?!



On Sunday, Steve’s parents came for a quick visit. Steve’s dad found a tractor on the other side of Minnesota that he was interested in so they stayed with us. They went and bought the tractor on Monday, came back for the night, and then headed home on Tuesday. They will be back in three weeks on their way down to Texas for the winter. I think Grandma enjoyed getting some extra Cooper time in. Grandpa enjoyed getting his tractor. It’s similar to one he used to own when they lived in Lower Michigan. I got a few pictures of him and Cooper on it and then a few with Steve, too.



Coops is doing well in daycare. He is learning sign language. I also bought a “signing with your baby” book and I’m trying to enhance what he is learning at daycare. Typically if you start to sign with them around seven months, by about 10-11 months they will start signing back… before they can talk. Cooper is already starting to gesture when he wants to be picked up, so I really think he will pick up on signing. We are working on the important signs like mommy, daddy, eat, more, all done, I love you, thank you, and dog (but I really don’t like the sign for dog). He is also working on social greetings… waving hello and goodbye and saying, “Hi”... not that he can say it, but imply it... although, I thought I heard him say it yesterday. They continue to work on object permanence by putting toys in a box and showing him they don’t go away even though you can’t always see them. I bought him some soft blocks and he enjoys knocking them over after I build them. Oh, he is fun to watch.

This month the daycare is focusing on fall. Today he was to wear his favorite fall color. I put him in a plaid green and yellow shirt with some jeans. He looked very grown up. Thankfully, they sent home a calendar that says what they are doing each day. He has a different color to wear each Friday. Actually, next week it’s cozy shirt day instead of a color. One day next week is “bring your teddy bear day”. Of course, at the end of the month they will have a Halloween themed week. Last week we got a card of a tree with his footprint as the trunk. Too cute!

Tomorrow my best friend Cindy is coming and she, Jackie and I will have a girl’s weekend. We have been best friends since we were about 12. For the last few years we have been getting together once a year to goof off… not as much as when we were 12, but just have fun. This year Cindy is coming to Rochester. Usually we meet in Fairmont, MN since it is the half way point. I think we’ve tapped the entertainment in Fairmont. We’d get a hotel room, shop at Shopko… not much else in Fairmont, order pizza, and then stay up as long as we could (also not as long as we could when we were 12) talking. We’ll see what this weekend brings. Steve is on baby duty from about noon tomorrow until noon on Sunday as we plan to shop and go out from dinner. Once again, I probably owe him! My guys will do great.

Cooper turns eight months on Monday. Oh my.

No comments: