Introducing Tessa Grace Hull… 
She arrived Monday, August 10th at 10:30am. She weighed 7lbs 5 oz and was 20 inches long.
Last Monday, we arrived at the hospital at our scheduled 8:30 check-in time. Things seemed fairly quiet and we had about an hour and a half of just getting ready… filling out the social security information form, getting an IV, talking to OB and anesthesia, and what seemed like a lot of time just waiting. They thought we might even get started early, but I didn’t walk back to the OR until a little after 10am. In my last post a little over a week ago I was anxiously anticipating the arrival of our daughter. I was nervous about the OR, but I had been reassured by several people that a planned c-section usually goes very smoothly… and just about everyone that took care of us before going to the OR told us the same thing. Things don’t go quite as smoothly as we had hoped and there was probably more drama with Tess’ arrival than Cooper’s. After placing my spinal anesthesia my blood pressure significantly dropped and I stopped breathing and became unconscious. With fluids and medications, I came back fairly quickly, but they lost Tess’ heartbeat and they had to proceed with an emergency c-section. The first thing I remember when I became aware of my surrounds was them asking for the staff surgeon and said “We need to get the baby out now!” Steve was still in the pre-op/recovery area waiting to be brought in. They never did tell him what had happened, but told him that he needed to hurry or he was going to miss it. He thought they had just forgotten to get him. He made it in time to tape her birth. Our beautiful little girl arrived at 10:30. After a few minutes she was fine and demonstrating she has a great set of lungs. We have a healthy beautiful little girl. They did share that our silly little one was breech. I had ultrasounds the last four weeks and she was always head down and even the nurse checking us in thought she felt her head down, so the thought is she turned sometime in the OR before her delivery. We stayed in the hospital until Thursday.


She arrived Monday, August 10th at 10:30am. She weighed 7lbs 5 oz and was 20 inches long.
Last Monday, we arrived at the hospital at our scheduled 8:30 check-in time. Things seemed fairly quiet and we had about an hour and a half of just getting ready… filling out the social security information form, getting an IV, talking to OB and anesthesia, and what seemed like a lot of time just waiting. They thought we might even get started early, but I didn’t walk back to the OR until a little after 10am. In my last post a little over a week ago I was anxiously anticipating the arrival of our daughter. I was nervous about the OR, but I had been reassured by several people that a planned c-section usually goes very smoothly… and just about everyone that took care of us before going to the OR told us the same thing. Things don’t go quite as smoothly as we had hoped and there was probably more drama with Tess’ arrival than Cooper’s. After placing my spinal anesthesia my blood pressure significantly dropped and I stopped breathing and became unconscious. With fluids and medications, I came back fairly quickly, but they lost Tess’ heartbeat and they had to proceed with an emergency c-section. The first thing I remember when I became aware of my surrounds was them asking for the staff surgeon and said “We need to get the baby out now!” Steve was still in the pre-op/recovery area waiting to be brought in. They never did tell him what had happened, but told him that he needed to hurry or he was going to miss it. He thought they had just forgotten to get him. He made it in time to tape her birth. Our beautiful little girl arrived at 10:30. After a few minutes she was fine and demonstrating she has a great set of lungs. We have a healthy beautiful little girl. They did share that our silly little one was breech. I had ultrasounds the last four weeks and she was always head down and even the nurse checking us in thought she felt her head down, so the thought is she turned sometime in the OR before her delivery. We stayed in the hospital until Thursday.
Getting ready to go home...
Our first family photo...
Tess is doing great. She has taken to nursing like she has done it her entire life… well I guess she has. I should say like a pro. No struggles with latching on. We initially were concerned about her being jaundiced, but the docs thought she was in a low to intermediate risk category and if it didn’t appear to be getting worse, she’d be fine and she is. Her weight dropped to 6lbs 13 oz at her doctor visit on Saturday so we had her checked again on Monday and she was up to 7lb. I will take her back on Friday just to be sure she is at her birth weight or above. She likes to eat and make wet and poopy diapers so we know things are moving through her.
I really appreciate my parents coming to take care of Cooper. He did really well with them. They brought him up to the hospital several times. So far he seems to like his sister. My parents were here until Saturday and my sister came Friday for the night. Steve’s mom came Saturday and his dad will come on Friday. Steve will be home with us next week. We are starting to get settled, but I’m sure it will take some time before we are in a routine. I’m taking 12 weeks of maternity leave so we have time to bond and figure things out.
My little one LOVES to be held and since I’m not good at one-handed typing I will close for now. I LOVE to snuggle, too!
Bear with us if the blog goes a few days without an update. I’ll post as soon as I can.
Life is beautiful!!!

2 comments:
So, so precious! She's beautiful!
Glad to know everything went OK. Nothing like a little drama to make for a good birth story.
Post a Comment