Thursday, January 3, 2008

4,3,2,1… Happy Baby!

Okay, so I put a spin on the New Year countdown. We have just four weeks until our due date! What can I say… we are in the home stretch. Everyone keeps saying, “Any day now”, but I think we still have a few days… probably weeks. I am definitely pre-nesting. I don’t think it is nesting yet, but I might be getting close. My parents were here after Christmas and Mom helped me wash four loads of baby clothes and blankets. His crib and bassinet are made. I got the baby’s bag packed and now I’m panicking that mine isn’t done. I keep starting projects and then leave them to work on something else that I think is more pressing. In my head it all makes sense which is incredibly frightening as I have a serious case of “pregnancy brain” going on and I can’t formulate a clear thought. We should probably put the base of the car seat in the Jeep. It’s not like Steve couldn’t put it in before we come home, but I have a need to do it now. I asked him if he wants a change of clothes and a tooth brush in my bag, but he said he’ll just go home to shower and change. Home??? And leave me??? Okay, the hospital is only eight minutes from home, but…leave me???

In the midst of preparing for our little guy’s arrival, I again have picked up a cold. It isn’t horrible, but with trying to get things set at work, preparing at home, slowing down from the holiday rush, being nine months pregnant… I’m really tired. And for some reason my body doesn’t think it needs sleep… at night, anyway. I am so tired of being awake at 3:30 and never quite falling back asleep. No wonder I crashed for about three hours yesterday afternoon. My body needs to be ready to bring this little one into the world. Oh, and did I mention I have pregnancy brain? Mix that with a cold’s fuzzy, disconnected feeling and I really can’t function well. Steve and I spent about an hour or so in labor and delivery triage again on Monday… just to be sure little one and I were both okay. The triage nurse I spoke with on the phone suggested bringing a tooth brush and a change of underwear… just in case since we are getting close to delivery. Now you know why I am in a panic about wanting my bags packed. Initially, we were told they were delivering three babies at the same time so we wouldn’t be seen right away and little one needed to be on the monitor for about an hour. He just wiggled enough occasionally where the monitor wouldn’t pick up his heart rate and the nurse would have to readjust it…. my little wiggle worm. I just loved hearing that soothing sound of his heartbeat. He seemed happy at 140-150 beats. Thankfully we saw the chief OB resident and got out of there fairly quickly with a couple of prescriptions. Delivering three babies at the same time??? Yikes! From the looks of the newspaper birth announcements they have been busy. Oh, I hope all these pregnant women have their babies and it is nice and quiet up there when we get there.

I can’t tell if he has flipped head down yet or not… or if he is just flipping over and over. I can tell that he is moving all the time… and I really mean all the time. I have the wave going on as I write this. My whole belly is moving. What is he doing? We see our OB next Thursday. From there we’ll get an update as to his position and what we need to do. So for now, we wait. Oh, and probably nest until I can’t think of anything else to do.

Well, Happy New Year!!! I pray everyone is blessed in 2008.

No comments: