Friday, January 18, 2008

38 2/7: Waiting

Steve and I saw our OB yesterday afternoon. No real news to report. I am 1cm dilated, but as I know some of you could tell me I could be at 1cm for awhile. I’m spending time sitting on my big ball hoping it encourages him to engage a bit more and put pressure on my body to make a bit more progress. Little One continues to be head down and happy. YES!!! His movements are really becoming less intense, but he can still push on my ribs pretty well… and push his head against my bladder. I feel him gently wiggle frequently. Our OB doesn’t think he’ll be a big baby, but she said he could surprise us at 8lbs… and I know 8 is still a nice number. Believe me… I’ve heard a million 10lb baby stories in the last week… that are frequently prefaced or followed by a 36 hour labor story. I know people are well meaning, but… The OB was sharing with us she just had a first time mom that got her epidural in right at the same time they discovered she was completely dilated and she pushed twice. I’m not sure those stories help either. I said I need to plan for February 5th, a 30 hour labor, 3 hours of pushing, and a 9lb baby. Then I will be thrilled when he comes next week with a shorter labor, little pushing, and he is a nice 7lbs. Time will tell. I am constantly reminded that I have little to no control over any of this. We have another appointment on Tuesday. She will schedule an induction for the following week, just so we know we have a date planned if things don’t start on their own. She is on-call the week of the 28th, so my appointment that week will be with another OB, but hopefully that appointment isn’t needed… actually I hope the one on Tuesday isn’t needed either. I’m going to keep my new “hope” date between Steve and me for now.

We are doing great. Many of you know I am a control freak at heart... but I try not to let it show very often. So this waiting and not being able to plan is hard. I really like to know what to expect and when to expect it. I’m one to read everything I can about something new or get all the travel books and maps for a new place we are going to visit. I’ve read my pregnancy and birth books and looked at the internet a bit… that isn’t always the best place to get information. But as I’ve said about many things I’ve experienced during pregnancy, NOTHING is going to really prepare us for what is about to happen. We’ve talked about and know that we are both feeling like we don’t know the first thing about being parents. We both are probably feeling a bit nervous and apprehensive, but you know we are going to do great! We have wonderful family and friends. We have each other! And most importantly we have God, who has blessed us with this miraculous gift.

So for now we wait… and wait… and wait. We’ll get in one more date as we plan to go to a movie tomorrow. Maybe do a little shopping… at least walk a bit. And wait.

More as things progress...

No comments: