Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The privilege of parenthood

I have to share an observation from the other night… well I feel this quite often, but the other night really hit me. Maybe it is partially pregnancy hormone induced or the sermon at church on Sunday on peace and the dependence of a small child on his parents.

The other night I was cleaning out my hall closet (yes, I can’t get all my clothes in one closet, but that is changing… hopefully) in preparation to get stuff out of the closet in the room we are going to move Cooper into. Cooper was trying to help me. Steve then came to join us and the three of us were sitting in the hallway. Cooper crawled on Steve’s lap and started giggling. It hit me really hard what a privilege it is to be a parent. God chose us to care for this little guy, protect him, and guide him. I watched the complete joy on his face in the simple act of sitting on the floor with us. There was a peace about him that all of his needs at the moment were met. Often our days are so busy that we continue to move forward, but we don’t always take the time to appreciate the moments of just being together. I am honored that God chose me to be Cooper’s mom. I know I have said many times that I think that Cooper is an incredible child. He is! There is something so incredibly special about the love of a child.

Life is beautiful!

No comments: