Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Our BIG day! Daycare and a new job...




Well, here I go again. It has taken me over two weeks to update. Bear with me… it has been a busy couple of weeks. Steve had a couple of engineering interviews two weeks ago and he heard the Friday before last that one of the companies was interested in making him an offer. Of course that meant we needed to start looking for child care… oh my. I knew infant care in Rochester was scarce, but, wow, it is tight. As most of you know I am a bit neurotic when it comes to Cooper’s care and safety… true for all those I love. I’m not going to put him just anywhere and given that I work in organ donation and I hear the worst stories about shaken babies at daycare, it’s even harder. I started to frantically search as soon as we knew Steve was likely to get an offer- which officially came last Friday and they wanted him to start immediately. Most centers don’t have openings until February or March of next year. We looked at a couple of centers last week that were willing to work with us. Thankfully and unfortunately… one center (the one we want) just had an opening, but another family took it right before I called. The good news was they don’t need the spot until August and Cooper can be there as a drop-in… and with other kids going on vacation he can stay there until September. They have him on their wait list, but don’t anticipate an opening until January. Hopefully a permanent spot will open in the meantime and he can stay. If not, there is a new center under construction due to open the middle of August. The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is that I can't see the interaction of the teachers with the students. This is a well established child care corporation so I’m sure they know what they are doing. We’ll see…

So that leads us to today. Cooper started daycare and Steve started his new job. We’ve spent the last couple of days buying new bottles, wipes, extra pacifiers, etc, labeling everything and filling out lots and lots of paperwork. After several nights of tossing and turning about the decision to have someone other than us care for Cooper, this morning arrived. We got up a bit early to get everyone out the door without being rushed… well… we were still a bit rushed, but not too bad. We had a lot to take with us. Steve and I both wanted to drop off Cooper with it being his first day. I think I did pretty good. I didn’t cry this morning until we made it past the front door of the daycare and the director asked how I was doing… then the tears came. I was distracted enough with putting his bottles and car seat away and filling out the “information about today" form that I wasn’t sobbing. I gave him one kiss and said goodbye. Oh, my dear baby. He is in great hands. I know they will take great care of him. I haven’t called yet, but then again, it’s only 9:30… maybe in another 30 minutes… just to see how his morning is going. ***It’s now 10am… I just called and he is doing great. They had him in a bouncer seat this morning. He is startling easily, but Cooper is pretty sensitive to loud noises. They fed him cereal and gave him a bottle. So he is okay… and mom is okay.***

Steve started as an engineer with Kerry, a company that makes bio- and pharma-ingredients. Hmmm, not exactly sure of what all he will be doing. I hope he is having a great day, too! The daycare is close to where Steve is working, so he’ll likely drop Cooper off in the morning.

Hmmm… what else is happening? We are going on three weeks of Cooper sleeping through the night. He was doing every other night until a few weeks ago. Then it seemed like he reached this magical age and now he is sleeping from about 9pm until 6:30am. Some mornings he'll sleep until about 8. Oh, I love it. I still get up to check on him occasionally. We also bought a mesh bumper pads as he would wake up crying with limbs sticking out of the crib. One morning he was on his side with both legs out, an arm out and his head tight up against the rail. He let out a horrible scream. Poor baby. There wasn't any way for him to get out of that position. Even with Cooper sleeping, the “get up early to get ready before he gets up” and the “get as much done as possible before bed” routines cuts into sleep. I find myself crawling into bed at night thinking that it feels I was just doing the same routine moments ago when it really was 24 hours ago. I’m typically the kind of person that really, really likes 8+ hours of sleep. These days if I get five I’m doing well.

Thankfully, this is a short week!

No comments: