Thursday, June 12, 2008

More Milestones...





This has been a big milestone week for Cooper.

Sunday night my parents came to visit and Steve and I took advantage of them being here to get away for a night as a couple. This was probably a bigger milestone for us than Cooper, but still a change for him. Lanesboro has a special place in our hearts as it is where we go to relax. This is also the place we went on our honeymoon and 1st anniversary. Lanesboro is cute little town about 45 minutes south of Rochester. The town is also down in a valley so cell phone use is pretty much nonexistent… a bit of a thought to comprehend when you are leaving your baby for the night for the first time. I couldn’t call every hour to check on him. He was in wonderful hands and the three of them did a great job! Cooper went down for Grandma and Papa around 7:30 and slept until 4am- wow, he doesn’t typically do that for us. He ate and played… and became a little fountain for Grandma. Steve and I had a nice night out and came back shortly after breakfast on Monday. I didn’t sleep as much as I thought I would. I wasn’t worried about Cooper, but I still kept waking up. While we missed our little guy, it was nice to reconnect as a couple… a lot of our conversation was about Cooper- but that’s okay- this is our life! Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Last night was also a night of a big milestone for Cooper. Last week his pediatrician gave us the okay to start cereal. After Steve and I had dinner, Steve picked Cooper up out of the swing he was in next to the table. Steve handed him the spoon and he tried to put it in his mouth… now keep in mind everything goes into his mouth at this point. But we thought we’d try the cereal. So I mixed ½ a tablespoon of rice cereal with 4 tablespoons of breast milk and he ate all of it! Thank you to everyone that gave us bibs, we are going to use them! Actually, he did a great job of getting it back in his mouth. Tonight filet mignon… no, not yet- have to wait for teeth and a tummy that can handle it. We’ll stick with cereal and breast milk for awhile.

Cooper is really starting to sleep longer at night. The night before last, I put Cooper down at 8:45pm and he slept until about 5am. Steve brought him to me in bed to nurse and then Cooper and I crashed again. I slept until a little before 7, but Coops continued to sleep while I got ready for work. Steve had a dentist appointment, so it worked out great that he was still sleepy. At 8am I knew Steve was about on his way home and I needed to head off to work, so I started to wake Cooper up and oh my the stretches and yawns… he just wasn’t quite ready to get up. He slept almost eleven hours which means I got about seven hours… that felt good! As I mentioned with our night away, just because Cooper sleeps, doesn’t mean we sleep all the way through. Both Steve and I get up to check on him to make sure he is okay. If only we could figure out how to make it happen every night. Last night he did great, but wanted to chat… and nurse at 2am and then was up again at 5am. As he continues to get older, I’m sure the longer nights are coming more frequently. It’s almost hard to remember the nights of getting up every two hours… well, I still remember them, but I’m very thankful we don’t have too many of them anymore.

After hitting two milestones, even though one was more for mom and dad than Cooper, we had quite the week. Cooper continues to change every day, just sometimes not major milestones.

No comments: