Sunday, December 16, 2007

We graduated!...

We graduated!... from our prenatal class. So did the couple that missed two classes, but it's a milestone in the pregnancy journey. Where did those six weeks go? Are we prepared… ready??? Well, maybe we know a little more about what to expect, where to go, and a few techniques for relaxation that I still need to practice, but are we really ready is a tough question to answer. Our lives will never be the same. On one hand I am incredibly anxious to meet this little guy, as you all know and at the same time I have to admit the “unknown” makes me a bit nervous. Yes, I think to truthfully answer the question, we are ready. Steve and I spent sometime on Friday shopping for a few more baby necessities… a crib mattress, newborn size diapers, wipes, a sheet for the bassinet, etc. I’m sure we’ll think of a few more things that we completely forgot. There’s still time and if he arrives and we don’t have something, we’ll get it then. We have a car seat, a crib, clothes, diapers… hmm. We can do it.

My guess is I am sensing time is getting closer. I can look at the calendar and see we have about six weeks until his due date, but I’m also starting to get a maternal sense that he is coming. I’m starting to feel like we need to get stuff organized for our bags. I’m not quite ready to pack the bags, but I did set out little one’s coming home outfit on the changing table so it’s ready. It still needs to be washed. I’m also making a mental note to pull out the items I think I will find comforting during labor… the little back massager, a tennis ball, the Bed Buddy, warm socks, etc. I just don’t want to be frantically saying, “grab this” or “oh, I forgot that” as we are leaving the house. I’ve seen list after list of what to pack, but we still need to tailor it to our needs. And then in the back of my mind I know things don’t always go as planned so I don’t want to get too set in what I think should happen.

Things are becoming a bit more interesting from a physical standpoint. I’ve recently noticed this belly that I’m not sure I remember from a few days ago. Keep in mind I see myself everyday, but there are some days that I look in the mirror and think wow that’s big. I can also tell that rolling over in bed is getting harder. Just flipping sides is a challenge... getting that wonderful Cuddle Pillow to come with me, leave the blankets on Steve, and get comfortable again isn’t easy. Getting up from a reclined position or from bed now requires rolling onto one side and pushing up. My shopping stamina now lasts about two hours. At the same time I get to feel this precious gift growing inside of me. His quick kicks and jabs are changing to longer, more intense movements. He frequently, a couple of times a day, has the hiccups. I’m even more fascinated watching my belly move. I must admit that I will miss feeling him move inside me after he is born. But at the same time it will be so wonderful to know he is here.

Time is definitely getting closer… Take care!

No comments: