I know I said I was going to try to update more often and now I’m two weeks out from my last post. I just don’t know where time goes. It seems like the days are moving very quickly and I’m sure they will seem to go even faster as the countdown gets shorter.
Little One (No, we don’t have a name yet) has been active… squiggling and wiggling. He has his moments where he is really active and then he can be so quiet that I lay very still waiting for a movement. Last week I was wondering what hiccups felt like and I am 95% sure that he had them last Wednesday night. I had 45 minutes of rhythmic taps and I’m sure they were hiccups. I’ve felt a couple more episodes, but nothing that long. He’s getting longer as I’m feeling movement just under my ribs now.
I’m also starting to have more days where I feel pregnant. Okay, yes, I always felt pregnant, but some days I just really feel pregnant! It is an amazing feeling and I wouldn’t trade it for anything… even when I’m having moments where I just can’t get comfortable. I’m finding tying shoes to be more of a challenge. I can do it, but it really is getting hard. Over the weekend I splurged and bought a new pair of slip-on shoes. It will just make life easier. Do you remember several weeks ago when I had maternity shirts that I didn’t want to wear because I didn’t have much to fill them out??? Well, now I have some maternity shirts that are starting to get short. Oh my, I still have nine weeks until my due date. Several people have warned me that this would likely happen. I think for now I’ll blame the dryer rather than it being little one getting big. Not that I’m as good as my doctor at measuring my belly, but I’m still right on for 30 weeks.
Tomorrow we have week four of six of our prenatal class. Each one again brings more reality to the fact that this is happening and little one will soon come. During the second session we discussed when to report to the hospital and toured the labor and delivery unit. Blueprints for the new labor and delivery unit have been developed, but obviously not in time for us… maybe if we are someday blessed with another baby we’ll get the benefits of it. I have to admit I was surprised that the rooms weren’t as “primitive” as some people have made them sound. Now they aren’t the nice birthing suites many hospitals have where you are in the same room during your entire hospital stay, but at least we can labor and deliver in the same room. No tubs, but they do have a walk-in shower. I don’t think I have previously mentioned that with this particular hospital the OB you see during your pregnancy is very unlikely to be the one to deliver your baby. In fact, with it being a teaching hospital, you are pretty well guaranteed to be delivered by a resident… with a staff OB supervising. I have about a 1 in 20 chance of seeing my OB that day. I am a bit surprised that they haven’t come further along in realm of OB “comforts” that are just expected theses days. I guess it’s better than the days of the father pacing in the waiting room and having little to no participation in the birth of their child. Even the “little” community hospital down the street has a better OB unit. But they don’t have in-house anesthesia 24 hours a day and no immediate access to NICU teams, etc if needed. I guess this is the price we pay for access to NICU, anesthesia, and all the other fine medical services at a moments notice. During the last class we get to tour the postpartum unit. Now that’s were I am really concerned. I have heard that not all of the rooms are private and your husband can only stay overnight if you are in a private room. I can’t imagine Steve having to go home shortly after the birth of his son. In fact, I think I could potentially have a meltdown if that happens. It just doesn’t seem right.
Last week and this week we are looking at the stages of labor, how to cope, and medical interventions… more reality! 10cm has never looked so big… Oh my! We should be practicing the breathing and relaxation techniques at home, but part of me keeps thinking we still have time. However, I’m finding that I’m not as coordinated at breathing as I thought I’d be. How hard can it be???... breathe in, let it out, breathe in, and let it out. Last week, each time I just managed to get into a pattern, little one would kick me and I’d lose my concentration. I have no doubt that Steve will get me through it. The videos we’ve watched have been so nicely edited that I have the naïve idea that I could possibly do this without medications… then a greater reality says, yeah right just try it! I am definitely not opposed to the idea of an epidural. I used to think I’d like it waiting for me at the door, but now I’d like to go without it as long as I can. We’ll see. I’ve never experienced labor and I have no real idea of what to expect. Last week we got a sample birth plan of what we want and don’t want. While I think it’s good to think about, I don’t want to have too many expectations, but would rather take it as it comes. As I have mentioned with other aspects of pregnancy… no matter how many books you read or stories you hear, absolutely nothing can prepare you for what it will really be like.
This is an incredibly journey! Until next time… take care!
No comments:
Post a Comment