I have been in awe at watching Cooper change. He will always be my baby, but he is now becoming a big boy. I have mentioned in past posts that they work on self-help skills at daycare and we have seen him wanting to take a more active role at home. He wants to help or try to do things himself. It is hard to imagine he is ready for some tasks, but if it is something he wants to do, he is persistent and we let him try. For the last couple of weeks he has helped set the table. I get nervous with not wanting him to drop something that will break, but most of our dished are pretty durable. I am amazed to see how he must watch us and knows where things go. He will also take his dirty clothes to the hamper… and occasionally the garbage can. But he tries.
Every day it seems like he wants to try something new. Now he helps feed Cierra. He carries both scoops of food to her bowl. Not all of it makes it into the bowl, but he tries. Last night we took him to Target to buy snow pants for school… if he didn’t have them he would have to stay inside while his friends go out. Taking two kids shopping at this stage has required two carts, but last night we tried the ones with the cart attached to a toddler seat. Cooper climbed up and sat like a big boy.
For the last couple of weeks he has fought sitting in a high chair, especially when we are out to eat. And forget a booster seat, too. If we are sitting at a booth he does great sitting on his knees. Last night he refused to sit in his high chair at home for dinner so we tried to just let him sit at the table on a chair. He probably did better than he has done for several weeks. This morning he did it again only this time he wanted a bowl like ours and a regular spoon. I have to remember that he sits at a little table at daycare for breakfast #2 (he eats breakfast #1 with us) and lunch, so why would he want to sit in a high chair at home??? Forget the sippy cup, too. He wants a regular glass. Thankfully, we have some sturdy corned beef jars that look like our juice glasses… and he hasn’t figured it out yet. He does well with small amounts of liquids. The other night when I was clearing the table he helped me carry dishes to the sink.
I’m sure some of you would say that the “newness” will wear off… and it probably will for some things. But for now I will watch in amazement as my little boy becomes more independent. Lesson learned: Letting Cooper help often averts a potential temper tantrum, gives Cooper something to do, and helps him learn that he is an important member of our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment