Friday, April 4, 2008

Eight weeks old!!!




Wow! Where have the last eight weeks gone??? We have spent most of it trying to figure things out. For Cooper, “where am I?”, “how do I go back?”, and “where’s the milk?” I’m sure are the questions to be answered. For me it’s, “sleep, will I ever sleep again?”, “oh my, does Cooper really want to be fed again?”, and how does one heart have so much love?”. I’m sure Steve is just trying to adjust to Cooper and me. It has been wonderful for the three of us to be home together. No one could have prepared me for parenthood. Have I ever said that I am blessed??? I am! This is all so incredible.



I went back to work on Wednesday for four hours a day through next week. I just wasn’t ready to go back full-time… I could have easily taken a few more weeks (months or years) off. I miss Steve and Cooper while I am at work. When I get home I just want to cuddle with Coops and make up for the hours I missed. Can you imagine how I will be after the 14th? Thankfully, Cooper doesn’t mind the cuddle time. I am very thankful Steve is home with him as I know I wouldn’t be ready to hand him over to a daycare center yet. I’m sure they are getting started on their “boy things” while I am gone… the importance of not letting the squirrel population get out of hand, “big boy” noises, which days to look for the Menards, Home Depot, and Lowe’s ads in the paper… and that the Herbergers ad is yucky. They read books every morning. Steve has said “Colors and animals today… algebra tomorrow.” I promise you we will let him be a kid. We just use the Noah wallpaper boarder during diaper changes, the animal mobile, and the books to point out the names of the animals and colors. He seems to be entertained by it. We get a lot of “oww’s” (Steve thinks it’s owl) and “aguooo’s” from him.



I try to read to Cooper, too, but I read the “mushy” books. I have a new favorite “Cooper” book. It used to be (and is now tied) Love You Forever. If you haven’t read it… a young woman holds her newborn son and sings to him: "I'll love you forever I'll like you for always as long as I'm living my baby you'll be." In the end, when he is a grown man and she is an old woman, he sings to her as he cradles her in his arms: "I'll love you forever I'll like you for always as long as I'm living my mommy you'll be." I still struggle to make it through without a tear. Over Easter I found the book You Are My Wish Come True. A momma bear shares with her baby bear how much she wished, prayed for, and waited for him. One day God chose a special child for her and her wish came true. Both are very special books. I just can’t tell Cooper enough how much I love him.



Cooper is and will continue to grow up fast. If the next 18 years go as fast as the last eight weeks, he will be heading to college very soon. On Monday we had him in the crib to do some tummy time and Coops decided he prefers to lie on his back and rolled over. At first I thought it was a fluke, but he did it several times. I laid a blanket out on the floor in his room to play with him there and do some tummy time and sure enough, more rolls. He also has an amazing ability to hold his head up when he is on his tummy, so I’m not too concerned about a flat head. I’ve also watched him roll from his back to his side… that is how he likes to sleep… so much for putting him on his back to sleep, but I don’t think he can roll completely over to his tummy… yet. It just means we need to watch where we put him and I need to take all the stuffed animals out of his crib.

Keep checking back as I will try to update this more often.

Jen

No comments: